Many industries, particularly the construction industry, require unskilled or semi-skilled labour. Employers who employ unskilled or semi-skilled occupations often need candidates to have a minimal level of training or experience. Understanding these forms of labour and the professions available for each might help you determine if semi-skilled or unskilled workers are suited for your business.
With the current shortage in construction labour of all kinds, it can be difficult to find both unskilled and skilled labour to work on a job site!
In this article, we explore the differences between unskilled and skilled labour, and which might be best for your company to hire.
What is Unskilled Labour in Construction?
Unskilled labour is any type of work that does not require formal training, special educational background, and may be performed by almost anybody. Unskilled workers typically have little to no experience in the field they are working in and might require on-the-job training to learn how to complete tasks. Common unskilled jobs include manual labour positions such as factory workers, janitors, and agricultural workers.
Many firms respect unskilled workers because they keep their operations running smoothly and can account for a significant amount of their workforce. Unskilled labour may be found in positions that require operating simple machines or doing repetitive tasks. Because unskilled labour does not need a specific set of abilities or credentials, semi-skilled and skilled labour occupations may pay more.
Because it takes far less effort to gain the information and abilities required to accomplish the job properly, unskilled labour is less valued. While most individuals can pick up the skills they need to work as cashiers or cleaners quickly through on-the-job training, becoming an electrician requires years more time owing to the difficulty of learning the requisite abilities. Employers will thus pay skilled employees far greater rates than they would pay unskilled labourers who require much less training.
5 Unskilled Labourers You Might Need on A Construction Site
Typically engaged on a temporary basis, unskilled labourers can be useful for your construction project. Unskilled labour positions you may want to consider filling include:
- Cleaning services: Workers to haul garbage from your construction site to the dumpster, clear up debris, clean washrooms, and other areas that need clean up.
- General maintenance: Unskilled labourers can do general tasks like painting, minor repairs, moving furniture and equipment around, and other odd jobs.
- Security: Unskilled labourers can work as security guards, keeping an eye on the construction site and making sure no one trespasses or vandalizes
- Event set-up and tear-down: If you’re hosting an event at your construction site, you’ll need workers to help set up and take down tables, chairs, decorations, and other materials.
- Yard work: Unskilled labourers can mow the lawn, trim hedges, and do other landscaping tasks.
Due to the lower risk nature of their work, unskilled labourers are sometimes ready to take lesser pay than skilled labourers, but they typically have an easier time getting employment.
If you’re looking for unskilled labourers to help with your construction project, consider contacting a temp agency. A temp agency can provide you with workers on a short-term basis to help with your project, and you won’t have to worry about finding long-term employment for them after the project is complete.
How much does an unskilled labourer earn in Canada?
According to Talent.com, the average unskilled factory worker salary in Canada is $30,469 per year or $15.63 per hour. Entry-level positions start at $27,300 per year, while most experienced workers make up to $39,000 per year. Of course, it varies according to the number of years of experience and according to the companies.
What is semi-skilled labour?
Typically, semi-skilled work requires more credentials than unskilled work, but less than skilled work. This sort of employment often requires attention to detail and a minimal set of skills that may be acquired via education and experience. People who perform semi-skilled labor usually have more than a high-school diploma, but less than a college degree.
Historically, construction businesses could use unskilled, semiskilled, and skilled labour to complete their projects. However, due to developments in the industry and the knowledge required for construction employees to do their duties, these recruiting qualifications are evolving.
Currently, various construction sites require qualified labour, and the demand is greater than ever. Unfortunately, it is believed that there are insufficient people to fill these job positions.
What is Skilled Labour in Construction?
Skilled labour is any type of work that requires formal training or education to perform. Skilled workers typically have experience in the field they are working in and might not require on-the-job training to learn how to complete tasks.
Workers with the knowledge and training required to execute tasks linked to building and construction are referred to as skilled labourers. Their responsibilities vary according on the job at hand, but some of them include painting, drilling, installing flooring, and doing plumbing and electrical work. Common skilled jobs include positions such as carpenters, electricians, plumbers, and welders.
Today’s technological developments have increased the demand for skilled labour more than ever. Simply put, there aren’t enough qualified workers to go around! The number of people entering the workforce with a high level of skills in certain industries such as the manufacturing and construction industries have decreased over time, leading to a shortage in Canada and the United States of skilled labourers.
8 Examples Of Skilled Labour Workers You May Need In Your Construction Business
A task that calls for skilled personnel is known as skilled labour. These workers have formal education or training in a particular field of work. As a construction project manager, you might need the following skilled labourers:
- Craftsmen: A craftsman can specialize in a variety of tasks from making models or die cuts to designing custom furniture.
- Carpenters: Carpenters are trained to work with wood and other materials to create and install structures like walls, roofs, stairs, and doorframes.
- Electricians: Electricians are responsible for installing, maintaining, and repairing electrical systems.
- Plumbers: Plumbers install, repair, and maintain pipes and fixtures, such as toilets, sinks, and bathtubs.
- Welders: Welders join metals together and often work on construction projects, such as bridges and buildings.
- Technicians are skilled individuals who focus on a particular field without necessarily holding a certification. In the construction industry, technicians might be in charge of operating machinery or using specific tools.
- Operators are knowledgeable workers who use construction machinery for building structures. Bulldozers, excavators, and forklifts are a few examples of the machines operated by skilled labourers in this category.
- Administrators who manage a business or organization’s operations. Within their businesses, they assist in overseeing the tasks that other employees perform.
How Much Do Skilled Labours Make in Canada?
According to Talent.com, the average skilled labour salary in Canada is $36,075 per year or $18.50 per hour. Entry-level positions start at $31,200 per year, while most experienced workers make up to $50,180 per year.
Which Is Best For Your Construction Company?
So, which is best for your construction company? To answer this question, you first need to consider the needs of your business. If you’re working on a small construction project, you might not need to hire skilled labourers. Unskilled workers might be able to complete the tasks you need without any formal training or education.
On the other hand, if you’re working on a large construction project, you might need to hire both skilled and unskilled workers. Skilled workers will likely be needed for tasks that require formal training or education, such as plumbing and electrical work. Unskilled workers can be used for tasks that don’t require formal training, such as painting or cleaning.
There is always a need for skilled workers on construction sites all over Canada. But it can be hard to find and hire the right people to work on a construction project. That’s where a staffing agency comes in!
A staffing agency can help you find and hire skilled workers on a temporary basis for your job site. If you use a staffing agency, you’ll not only be able to get good workers for less money, but you’ll also be able to get more done on your construction site.
If you work for a construction company that needs skilled workers for a new project, you might think about hiring a staffing agency to help you find the right people so you can finish your projects on time and on budget.
Using Construction Staffing Agencies
When businesses need skilled workers, construction staffing agencies can be a great resource. They help businesses find workers for short-term projects like building repairs or new buildings. Before you sign up with a construction staffing agency, you should read reviews and compare prices. Ask the agency what services they offer and what kind of workers they can put you with. They will also help businesses and skilled workers connect with each other and find the right people for the job.
A construction employment firm will find and assign personnel within a certain timeline. The agency will understand your demands and identify competent, available individuals. The agency will function as a bridge between you and the workers, facilitating communication and coordination.
When building or remodeling, you need the correct personnel. A construction staffing firm can help you identify good personnel and finish the task swiftly. Staffing firms provide cheap pricing and great service. No problems or troubles will arise. In addition, organizations run background checks on all candidates to verify they’re dependable and safe. Using a construction employment service gives you access to more personnel, making the task easier and faster.
It may be difficult to staff a construction project using in-house resources alone, so working with an agency can help you find the workers you need quickly and efficiently. If you’re looking to hire a skilled workforce for your upcoming construction project, don’t look any further – MGR Workforce is always here to help! Contact us today.
How to Choose the Right Staffing Agency for Your Construction Business
When it comes to staffing agencies for the construction industry, it can be hard to choose the right one. So, to make things easier for you, the three most important things to look at when comparing construction staffing agencies are experience, turnaround time, and cost.
- Experience: Agencies that have been in the construction staffing business for a long time will know more about the industry and the kind of workers you need for your project. They will also have more qualified people from which to choose.
- How Long It Takes: If you want to finish your project quickly, make sure to ask the agency how long it will take to find workers for your project and put them to work. Some construction staffing agencies may take longer than others to get back to you, so you should ask about this before you decide to work with them.
- Cost: When choosing a construction staffing agency, cost is always a factor. Make sure to ask about the agency’s fees and compare them to those of other agencies before making your final decision. MGR Workforce is a good place to look if you need a construction staffing agency that can find you experienced workers at a fair price.
Temp or Permanent Placement?
A temporary workforce could be the best choice for you if you need help with a one-time project or a short-term need. You can get the workers you need without signing a long-term contract if you use a temporary workforce.
Permanent placement might be the best choice for you if you need help with a long-term project or a permanent need. With permanent placement, you can find the workers you need and have them work on your project for as long as you need them.
Now Is The Ideal Time To Hire!
Here are three reasons why now is the best time to start filling important positions in your company:
1. There are a lot of qualified people in the talent pool
Because of our current economic environment, there are a lot of highly qualified people looking for work. This is the perfect time to find the workers you need for your company.
2. You can find the right fit for your company.
Because there are so many people looking for work, you can take your time to find the right fit for your company. You can find workers with the skills and experience that you need to help your company succeed.
3. You can get started right away.
If you start looking for unskilled or skilled construction workers now, you can get them in place at your job site as soon as possible. This will help you finish your project on time and under budget.
Why Choose MGR Workforce For Your Construction Staffing Needs?
It’s important to think carefully about who to hire for important jobs in your construction company. If you’re having trouble filling key positions with the right people, don’t be afraid to ask for help from a professional agency. MGR Workforce is one of the best staffing companies that specializes in helping businesses with their construction staffing needs.
Since 1999, MGR Workforce has been a professional staffing agency that helps businesses in many different fields find the right employees. We have a team of expert recruiters who know how to find people who share the goals and values of our clients. We use our 20 years of experience to find workers who are a good fit for your needs.
- We have a proven track record of success. We’ve been in business for over 20 years and have helped thousands of businesses find the staffing solutions they need.
- We know a lot about what we do. Our team of experts has the skills and knowledge you need to get the job done right.
- We want you to be successful. We work closely with you to find the best staffing solution for your business by getting to know your specific needs.
- We have everything you need. We offer more than just staffing solutions. For example, we also offer Health and Safety Management.
- Quality Talent Always Comes! First We’re known for providing the highest quality labor. We relentlessly screen for deep experience and a desire to support a winning team.
- Over-the-Top Superior Customer Service. Our level of commitment to satisfy our clients and provide incredible value is unmatched! We have a dedicated team of customer service professionals who are available to answer any questions you may have.
Wrapping It Up
Finding the right construction staffing agency can be a daunting task. However, by following the tips mentioned in this blog, you can easily find an unskilled or skilled workforce that is perfect for your specific needs. Using a construction staffing agency can save you time and money on your job site, so don’t delay and try hiring your first worker with MGR Workforce today! We’re confident that once you see the amazing results for yourself, you’ll use us for all your workforce staffing needs.